Mother’s Love and Growing Up
- Approach everything with LOVE first, especially when you want to smack the taste out of their little (or not so little) mouth.
- What is the lesson you want the child to learn? Are you an example of that, reinforcing that? Get creative. This is more than your legacy. This is their LIFE.
- Your job as a Parent is to put yourself out of a job. You children should grow up to be the most whole and happy and capable adult possible. You are going to participate in the creation of a new PEER!
- Failures and setbacks are a “WE” analysis. Successes and accomplishments are a “YOU” (the kid) analysis.
- Your Children do not belong to you. They are not property. They owe us nothing that we haven’t taught them and we owe them everthing.
- If you believe in a Divine creator, when asked about your care of the souls placed in your care, what will your answer(s) be?
- As a mother, whether a single mother or not, KNOW that no one is going to stand with you and GIVE NO FUCKS!!!
- An elementary school Principal told me to cut the apron strings. I told her that I had been such a hellion all my life that my only way in to heaven was to be a really good mother. “So buckle up BITCH – it’s going to be a long bumpy ride”
- A high school principal accused me of being a helicopter parent. – I told her that I was in fact a jellyfish parent – floating graceful and beautifully near, ready to sting at a moment’s notice, seemingly without notice, but never without cause.
- Parenting is a RIDE OR DIE propositions. I have always told my children that I will march through heaven and hell for them, but it better not be over some BS because when I get back –I’m coming for them.
- Teach history, personal, family cultural history. Focus on goals not limitation – give children roots – to grow and Wings to soar.
That being said.
At some point, there is a milestone that signals the end of your job as all knowing, doing parent to the trusted confidant, adviser parent…
Sending my first to college – I became physically ill and took to my bed for 24 hours.
Sending the second to college – I became physically ill and had to stop and throw up on the side of the road.
Sending my third off to college. I dyed my hair blonde.